Fishermen catching fish using sinsoro and trawl were recently apprehended in two separate operations of Iloilo Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force in Concepcion and Carles.
ILOILO – Eight fishermen have been arrested over the weekend for alleged illegal fishing in two separate operations in Concepcion and Carles towns here.
Operating within municipal waters, SPO1 Jose Ronnie Panes reported on Monday that these fishermen were gathering fish using round haul seine or “sinsoro” and trawl without permit from the municipal governments.
The Iloilo Provincial Bantay Dagat Task Force (IPBDTF) caught them onboard the following motorboat:
1. M/Bca MELDRID - owned and operated by Meldrid Francisco and piloted by Franklyn Aldaya of Concepcion, Iloilo.
2. M/Bca JOSHUA - owned and operated by Judy Gaquit and piloted by Ronald Docejo of Concepcion, Iloilo.
3. M/Bca ROCHELLE - owned operated by Vincent Amante and piloted by Nestor Mosqueda of Concepcion, Iloilo
4. M/Bca JADE – owned and operated by Editho Salundaga of Roxas City, Capiz.
5. M/Bca JOMAR 7 - owned and operated by Noel de la Cruz of Pilar, Capiz.
Motorboats Meldrid, Joshua and Rochelle were apprehended in Concepcion, while Jade and Jomar were in Carles.
Panes explained that unregistered fishing boats violate Section 9.06 and 9.09 of the Concepcion and Carles Municipal Ordinances and Sections 86 (unauthorized fishing) of Republic Act 10654.
Using active gears like trawl within municipal waters, on the other hand, violates Section 95 of RA 10654 or the amended Philippine Fisheries Code of 1998. Municipal waters cover the marine water 15 kilometers from the shoreline.
Panes said the fishermen were currently detained in municipal police stations except for Salundaga and De La Cruz who entered into a bargaining agreement with the municipal government of Carles to pay a compromise fine amounting to P27,000.
Earlier this month, the IPBDTF has been directed by Governor Arthur Defenor Sr. to step-up their waterborne patrol operations in Northern Iloilo following reports of resurgence of illegal fishing, particularly on the use of hulbot-hulbot or Danish seine.