Calinog, which according to legend Datu Marikudo chose to settle, is strategically located in the central part of the Island of Panay. Calinog was already a developing community when the Spaniards came between the 16th and the 17th Century. In the early 18th Century, Calinog was established as a permanent settlement following the system of town planning as prescribed by the Law of the Indies: a town plaza surrounded by the church, Municipal Tribunal, school and public market. This remains as the main town-planning feature of the poblacion until the present. The Spanish Colonial Government then declared Calinog as “Pueblo” or town in 1763.