- MSF won’t stop aiding Yolanda survivors
- PH’s 1st monitoring wells to rise in Iloilo
- Air in oil spill-hit Estancia getting better – EMB
- Iloilo names top taxpayers, municipal treasurers for 2012
- PHAP donates P4.9M medicines to Iloilo
- P40.4M up for construction of new motorboats in Iloilo
- Iloilo launches ‘Adopt a Fisherman’ Program
- Capitol job fair draws huge turn out
- 15 illegal fishers nabbed while relief ops run in Iloilo
- Speed up Iloilo oil spill clean-up, contractor told
- 3,000 jobs up for grabs in Iloilo this December
- Capitol launches lantern-making contest
Iloilo Governor Arthur Defensor Sr. directed all the chiefs of the 12 province-run hospitals not to charge or impose fees on all patients suffering from dengue fever.
The order also includes free includes laboratory work-ups, such as CBC and platelet count, on patients.
Defensor made the directive during the emergency meeting with mayors, municipal health officers, chiefs of hospitals, chiefs of police, and other stakeholders to discuss measures on how to address the worsening dengue situation in the province yesterday (July 10).
He added, the province will also shoulder the processing fee for the blood to be used for dengue patients.
Defensor also called on all mayors to reactivate their municipal anti-dengue task force up to the barangay level which will spearhead anti-dengue activities in their respective municipalities.
He stressed that the role of the mayors is crucial considering that the dengue disease is affecting all towns in the province of Iloilo.
He also reiterated his plea for the conduct of 4o’clock habit every Friday in order to destroy possible breeding places of mosquitoes.
The governor also directed the Provincial Health Office (PHO) to make larvaecides available to all municipalities. A larvaecide is a chemical used to suppress mosquito larvaes.
Defensor stressed that the province has enough funds to be used in various efforts to combat the dengue problem.
Invited as resource persons during the emergency meeting were Dr. Joji Jimenez and Dr. Glenn Alonsabe of Department of Health Western Visayas, who gave a briefing on the regional dengue situation, and infectious disease specialist Dr. Ludovico Jurao, who gave updates on the dengue disease.
Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Ma. Socorro Quiñon, on the other hand, gave a briefing on the dengue situation in Iloilo province.
Defensor called for the emergency meeting to enjoin all the stakeholders to join hands in addressing the rising dengue cases in the province to avert a possible dengue outbreak similar to what happened in 2010.
Also present in the meeting were Vice Governor Richard Garin and First District Board Member Macario Napulan, chairman of the Sangguniang Panlalawigan committee on health. (ECGarcia/ Capitol News)